Friday, April 2, 2010

Team Oregon General info 4/2/10 Method to my madness

Please refer to this site for up to date information on practice schedules, game schedules travel plans etc. I will do my best to update it regularly. I would like to use this site to share information and updates rather than sending out multiple
e-mails or having to make multiple phone calls. Check this blog daily for updates. Please have patience with me I have a busy young family with 3 girls all busy with other sports, a wife I intend to stay married to, all going in many directions, am spread an inch deep and a mile wide. PLEASE CHECK THE BLOG BEFORE YOU CALL!!!

I will post the final roster by April 5th. Because I have a few unsigned seniors on the team(if they sign with a school they are not eligible to play in NCAA/AAU santioned tourney's)and because I have several kids that deserve to be on the team I will most likely carry 12 or 13 on the roster with 2 or 3 being alternates. I would prefer to carry 9 however carrying 12-13 kids is the right thing to do this year. I know one will be heading back to Germany before the summer is over and one that is not available for Sunday games. There also tends to be illness, family activites, school activities, prom, injuries, seniors that sign, etc that will prevent players from making it to all the tourneys. I feel there is great value this year in keeping 12-13 on the roster. It makes sense and feels right to me even though I have never carried more than 10 on any team I have coached in the past.

Playing time
Playing time will be dictated by me alone and I will be playing our best players that give us the best chance of winning and advancing in each tourney we enter.

Practices
It is required that the players come to all practices. I need to know up front if they are sick or can't other wise come to practice. My cell is 503 875 8281 texting works great and I have access to e mail on my phone as well coachgarrity@yahoo.com. We will try to practice 3 days per week and less once the HS basketball summer season starts. Most practices will be held at Sunset Athletic Club in Beaverton unless otherwise noted. Weekly practices will be held closer to 8pm as that is when the gym is more available. Saturday practices will be held in the mornings or late afternoon or early evening for the same reasons. We will not practice Sundays. Please let me know ASAP in detail if conflicts in schedules and other previous scheduled activites and dates where your son is not available. Our emphasis in practice will be individual skill development which includes shooting, court awareness, playing to your strengths, improving on weaknesses and the mental part of the game. I can tell right away from what I have seen so far with the exception of 4 or 5 players we will need to be much more tough mentally by trying to impose our will on our opponents. Some will need to play with much more emotion and passion and must push themselves much harder. I expect each player to come ready every day to get better and to compete.

cost
AAU is expensive. Tourney fees run from $350-$600 per event, hotels and travel is also expensive. I need to pay for gym time, uniforms, etc. If you are in a position to help a little extra or have a company that may be a willing sponsor us let me know. We have a few very deserving players that will struggle to come up with the full amount. Frequent flyer miles can be useful to reduce costs or if any of you have hotel vouchers that we can use please let me know. Because I am paying for costs up front I would ask that you pay all the AAU fees up front as well. Please make checks payable to "Hoop Camp" which is a 501 c 3 non-profit organization that I direct and run all my basketball related finances through. If paying up front is a problem or you need to make special arrangements let me know by contacting me immediately. Unlike many AAU caoches, I do not make money on the team and I pay all of my own expenses. What you pay goes directly to the teams expenses. I will be running some camps this year and the boys can earn money by working the camps.
travel
I will update our travel plans as I get it. The boys are responsible for the cost of thier own meals while on the road. We will need help with drivers for those of you that can travel with us. Parents, friends and family are always welcome and your son is welcome to stay with family as well if that is preferred. I will talk to the boys about our rules on the road.

April 10-11 tourney in salem or Eugene?? may be too late to enter.

April 16-18 Friends of Hoop Tourney in Seattle, we have not made hotel plans can someone take the ball and run with it for me. I like staying in a house if possible or if anyone has family there with a big enough place for some or all???? if not we will need to find a hotel.

April 23-24 Boise. Friday Saturday. We will need additional drivers it is a 6-7 hour trip and we lose an hour as Boise is one hour ahead. We will be leaving April 22nd around noon so the boys will need to get out of school early.

April 30th-May 2nd Portland Spring Invitational

May 14-16 Best in West Yakima we are staying at the Ramada Inn 509 453 1391 818 N 1st in Yakima. If you plan on coming I would call NOW to book your room as there is a big basketball tourney and soccer tourney and ALL the Hotels are pretty much already completely booked to capacity.

Would like to add a tourney from mid may to june if possible interested in your feedback.

June 11th-13th Rose City Showcase in Portland.

July 6-8th NW summer Best Portland

July 22-26 Vegas

July 28-31 LA Have not deceided on this one for sure that is a lot of basketball back to back tourneys.

We plan also on playing a couple of the local AAU teams in real games.

We will take a back seat in June to the HS summer league programs.
I am open to other tourneys as well depending on costs will keep you updated.

All players are required to join AAU and get an AAU card the cost is $14.00 (I think). YOU MUST GET A CARD AND AN AAU # OR YOU CAN"T PLAY!!! please go to aausports.org and sign up for a card it is very easy. print it out and i MUST have a copy of it. THIS IS A MUST If you don't we can't enter many of the tourneys.